BEA Equality Objectives Statement
We welcome our duties under the Equality Act 2010, specifically:
– Eliminating discrimination.
– Fostering good relationships.
– Advancing equality of opportunity.
We will not discriminate against, harass or victimise any pupil, prospective pupil, or other member of the school community because of their:
– Religion or belief.
– Sexual orientation.
– Gender reassignment.
– Pregnancy or maternity.
– Marriage and civil partnership.
We aim to promote pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development, with special emphasis on promoting equality and diversity, and eradicating prejudicial incidents for pupils and staff. Our school is committed to not only eliminating discrimination, but also increasing understanding and appreciation for diversity.
Aims to eradicate discrimination
We are a diverse community and believe that realising the uniqueness of individuals enhances the lives of us all. Creating a prejudice-free environment where individuals feel confident and at ease is a commitment of the school. This environment will be achieved by:
– Being respectful.
– Always treating all members of the school community fairly.
– Developing an understanding of diversity and the benefits it can have.
– Adopting an inclusive attitude.
– Adopting an inclusive curriculum that is accessible to all.
– Encouraging compassion and open-mindedness.
We are committed to having a balanced and fair curriculum. We believe that our pupils should be exposed to ideas and concepts that may challenge their understanding, to help ensure that pupils learn to become more accepting and inclusive of others. Challenging and controversial concepts will be delivered in a way that is accessible, prevents discrimination and promotes inclusive attitudes. We will also respect the right of parents to withdraw their children from certain classes which pose conflicts to their own beliefs.
Dealing with prejudice
We do not tolerate any form of prejudice-related incident. Whether direct or indirect, we follow up discrimination against all members of our school with the utmost rigour. When an incident is reported, our school is devoted to ensuring appropriate action is taken and a resolution is put into place which is both fair and firm.
Our pupils are taught to be:
– Understanding of others.
– Celebratory of cultural diversity.
– Eager to reach their full potential.
– Aware of what constitutes discriminatory behaviour.
The school’s employees will not:
– Discriminate against any member of the school community.
– Treat other members of the school community unfairly.
The school’s employees will:
– Promote diversity and equality.
– Encourage and adopt an inclusive attitude.
– Lead by example.
We wish for our school to be an exemplar of inclusive and non-discriminatory attitudes and behaviour within our community. To this end acceptance and respect are core values at the heart of everything we do.
The Trust’s ‘Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy’ further outlines the school’s equality commitments and can be accessed below.